Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Cooking Adventures

I have called this blog my Adventures in Cooking because that's what cooking is to me -- an adventure.  Since I was a young boy I have always been fascinated with the magic that is cooking.  You take a pile of raw ingredients and with a little work, a bit of skill, a lot of practice and a good set of instructions, you create a culinary masterpiece.  Well, if not a masterpiece, at least something that didn't make my brothers sick.


As I grew and moved out on my own, I found that this skill made me quite popular as a roommate.  My friends would often come to visit around dinner time, and my coworkers would often request particular items for various occasions.  All of this made me realize that cooking is one of the best skills ever.


If there is one basic rule for cooking, it must be this; wash your hands.  It is impossible to cook food without touching it, and your hands pick up the germs on everything they touch.  These germs are transferred to the foods that you are preparing, and while most of these foods will be cooked and the germs will thereby be killed, some foods are not, or are not cooked enough to kill germs.  Proper hand washing with hot water and soap is a must.  In fact, it should be done consistently throughout the preparation time.


Another rule is to have the best tools possible.  I attended a class recently in knife handling skills, and one of the things I learned is the value of a good knife.  Sadly, I don't have one.  I was particularly impressed with the Henckels Classic series, and one day I hope to be the proud owner of a set of these, but since the knives are about $100 apiece, that day will have to wait.


I also believe that good cookware is a must, and I am working on that as well.  At present, I must do with what I have on hand.  I will discuss more of this later, but for now, I am limited by what I currently own, and it wouldn't be prudent to go deep into debt just to own better cookware.  


I plan this blog to be a work of cooking experiences and recipes, and when possible I will include photographs of the food I am preparing.  I will attempt to ensure that all recipes and instructions are complete and accurate, and I will do my best to answer any questions, should anyone feel the need to ask any.


As I stated in my profile, I have never taken a cooking class, but I do feel that I have accumulated a certain amount of cooking knowledge that I am more than willing to share.  


Bon appetit!



1 comment:

  1. Nice start.. Will check back again to read more updates on your cooking journey.

    ReplyDelete